What is a GP practice?

A GP with a young patient
Primary care practitioners such as GPs are run as independent ‘contractors’ under the umbrella of the NHS.

You can find the GP nearest to you by using the search box on the right.

New to Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven?

If you are new to the area and would like to register with a GP, please contact the practice nearest to your home in the first instance, they will be able to advise you if they are accepting new patients.

If you are unable to register with a practice, contact the West Yorkshire area team on 0113 82 52700 or by email and they will allocate you to the GP practice of your choice.

What should I do if my surgery is closed?

If you have a minor ailment and aren’t near your GP, you can get help from our GP-led health centre at Hillside Bridge Health Centre in Bradford rather than using A&E. By doing this, you can get access to a convenient range of treatment and save yourself a potentially long wait.

Hillside Bridge offers both a drop-in and appointment service seven days a week, 365 days a year. The centre is open to GP registered patients from 8am to 6pm and the walk-in centre is available from 2 till 8pm every day. You can contact Hillside Bridge on 0845 1211024.

If it is an emergency which cannot wait until your GP practice opens, please call 111. This is a 24 hour, seven day a week service.

Patients may be given directions to a primary care centre if an appointment is needed. As this is not a walk-in service, patients are asked to first speak to the out of hours doctor to arrange an appointment.

If the out-of-hours doctor thinks it is necessary a home visit may be offered. However, this is generally restricted to patients who are too ill to travel.

For an assessment of your symptoms and advice on your next steps, please call 111 or, if it’s less urgent, see your GP.  You can also visit the Health A-Z for information on conditions, including symptoms on the NHS Choices website.

What happens if I become ill when I am away from home and cannot access my own GP?

If you are in the Bradford and Airedale district for one day (less than 24 hours) and you become ill you can be treated as a one-off emergency treatment by any of our GP’s without registering. You should be aware that it is at the discretion of the GP as to whether they treat you. This will be based on your clinical need. In some cases you may be referred to A&E.

What if I am on holiday and become ill?

Some countries have reciprical arrangements but you need to make sure that you have an E111 or EU medical card that will ensure you receive medical treatment anywhere in the European Union.

If you become ill in the UK you can register for immediately necessary treatment for up to 14 days with any local GP within the area that you are visting.

If your stay is for a longer period you can register as a temporary resident for up to three months. It should be noted that some practices have closed lists due to high numbers of permanently registered patients.

Similar rules apply to any Bradford and Airedale residents who are visiting other areas of the country. Please note that you should not register with a GP on a permanent basis if you are on holiday abroad.

If you are an overseas visitor to Bradford and Airedale, more information can be found on the NHS Choices website.

Can I treat myself at home?

A well-stocked medicine cabinet will help you treat minor everyday illnesses at home. Illnesses such as coughs, colds, sore throats, headaches, indegestion and constipation can be treated at home with paracetemol or ibuprofen. If you have children, don’t forget to stock up with appropriate medicines for them.

The NHS Choices website can also help you identify common symptoms. Pharmacists can also help with some health queries such as coughs and colds, healthy eating and giving up smoking. They can also help you decide whether or not you need to see a doctor. For more information on how to make the right choice quickly if you fall ill, visit our ‘Choose well’ page.

Have you called 111?

You can call 111 for confidential health information 24 hours a day 365 days a year. There will be a trained nurse or professional advisor on the other end of the line who can advise you outside of normal surgery hours. They can help you and give you information on:

  • what to do if you or someone else is feeling ill
  • specific health conditions
  • self-help and support organisations
  • local health services

Do you or a member of your family need emergency medical treatment?

It is usually very obvious when emargency hospital service is needed. You should get help by either driving the patient to the nearest A&E or by calling 999 and asking for the ambulance service.

An emergency is a life-threatening situation such as:

  • difficulty breathing
  • suspected broken bones
  • loss of conciousness
  • overdose or poisoning
  • chest pains lasting 15 minutes or more

Remember to keep calm, do not put yourself in danger and do not give the patient anything to eat, drink or smoke.

Doctors and nurses at A&E departments are trained to deal with emergency, life-threatening situations, not minor injuries and ailments. Calling an ambulance for anything other than an emergency will not get you seen to any quicker than waiting at A&E as the most serious cases are prioritised.

Giving Feedback

Feedback helps us to improve the quality of your care.

You can give good or bad feedback by telling the NHS organisation or service about it. For example, you can do this through the Friends and Family Test or you can speak to a member of staff. Other ways to give feedback should be clearly displayed at the practice you visit.

If you are unhappy with an NHS service, it is worthwhile discussing your concerns early on with the surgery, as they may be able to sort the issue out quickly. Most problems can be dealt with at this stage.

How do I make a complaint?

If you are unhappy with the service given by your GP practice, please talk to the practice first to try to sort things out, the Practice Manager should be able to assist you. All practices have their own complaints procedures – you can request a copy of this. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, you will need their consent to proceed with the complaint.

If, however, you do not wish to raise your problem or complaint directly with the practice, you can complain to NHS England, who commissions these services.

NHS England can be contacted at:

NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT

By email to: england.contactus@nhs.net (Please include ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line).

By telephone: 0300 311 22 33

Sometimes people need help and support to use health services. If you have questions or concerns about the treatment that you, or the people you care about, are receiving, or if you need any advice about accessing services, you can contact the CCG’s Patient Support Manager on Tel 01274 237562.