Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our Cookies page .

Please note the page will reload to apply your settings.

The easiest way to register with a new GP practice is to find the service closest to your home by using the NHS services finder. You will then need to contact the practice to find out if they are accepting registrations for new patients.

You can find a map of all our member practices in our About Us section

If you are unable to register with a practice you can contact the West Yorkshire area team on 0113 825 2700 or by email and they will allocate you to the GP practice of your choice. If you live in North Yorkshire and Humber you can contact the local area team on 0113 825 1986 or by email

Find local services

A - Z of health conditions

NHS Data

Where to go when your GP practice is closed

Many GP practices now offer extended opening hours in the evenings and at weekends. You can check opening hours on your GP practice website or on the NHS services finder.

Minor illnesses

  • pharmacies - pharmacists are experts in medicines and minor ailments and are a good first port of call for health advice if it is not urgent. To find your local pharmacy use the NHS services finder.
  • managing your illness yourself at home - for minor illnesses such as coughs, colds and sore throats can be treated at home with medicines that you can buy over the counter at shops and pharmacies. There is also lots of information on the NHS website to help you manage minor illnesses yourself at home. 

Urgent care

  • NHS 111 - if you have an urgent health need that cannot wait until your GP practice opens, call 111. NHS 111 makes it easier for you to access local health services and is a free of charge number which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you call 111, you will be assessed by a trained nurse or professional advisor. They will be able to give advice and information and will direct you to the local service that can help you best. For more information about NHS 111, click here.

If you think someone is seriously ill or injured and you believe that their life is at risk, call 999 or visit your local accident and emergency (A&E) department.  If the situation is not life threatening but you need help fast, please call NHS 111.

To find out more about what constitutes an emergency, please click here

Find local services

A - Z of health conditions

NHS Data

What to do if you are ill and away from home

Visitors to the area 

If you are in our area for less than 24 hours, you can be treated as a one-off emergency treatment by any of our GP practices without registering. The decision to treat you is at the discretion of your GP and is based on clinical need.

If you are in our area for longer, you can register at a GP practice for immediately necessary treatment for up to 14 days. If your treatment will last longer than 14 days, you will need to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

Visiting another part of the UK

If you are away from home in another part of the UK for less than 24 hours, you can be treated for a one-off emergency treatment at a GP practice. The NHS services finder will help you find your nearest service.

If you require treatment for up to 14 days, you can register at a GP practice for immediately necessary treatment. If your treatment will last longer than 14 days, you will need to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

More information about how to see a GP when you are away from home can be found on the NHS website.

Falling ill when abroad

You may be entitled to medical care at a reduced cost or free of charge abroad. This will depend on whether you are visiting a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or elsewhere in the world. If you are going abroad it is recommended that you apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which allows you to access state-provided healthcare in EEA countries at a reduced cost or free of charge.

For further advice and guidance on what to do before travelling abroad and what to do if you fall ill, visit the NHS website.This includes country guides and information on how to receive treatment in Europe.

What happens when you are referred by your GP to see a specialist? 

The General Practice Forward View made a commitment to improving the current interface between hospitals and general practice to provide more seamless care for patients and to reduce the number of occasions where patients are sent back to their GP unnecessarily following a hospital appointment. The aim is to improve patients’ experience of care.

Members of the national working group and, specifically, NHS England, British Medical Association (BMA) and the National Association for Patient Participation (NAPP), have come together to produce a leaflet so you know what you can expect to happen if you are referred by your GP to see a specialist or consultant at a hospital or a community health centre.  You can take a look at the leaflet here.